Thursday 28 February 2013

Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions (Digipak Research)



 
 
This digipak is the most recently released out of the four that I have analysed so far. It's one of my favourite albums but I've never really taken much note of the digipak itself, until now of course.
 
The front cover shows a male and a female facing each other in a vast open space in the middle of the countryside. They both each have a flag tied to them, each of which is a different colour - highlighting that there are opposites in their character or that they both believe different things, as flags are a sign of partisanship. There is a fire burning in the background which has been neglected and appears to be spreading; this shows that there is perhaps danger on the horizon for these two people. There is a lot of colour on the front cover of this digipak but the saturation is rather low which hints at a lack of life in the scene and perhaps in their relationship. I love the photo, it is incredibly sharp and is probably the product of several photos pieced together due to the rich detail that is displayed in every aspect; every fold in the flags is visible and there isn't one distracting pixel. I also like how the title of the album and the name of the band is rather minimal; it is underlined in plain black font at the top of the digipak and the photo is the main focus of the front cover. This is something I want to replicate across my work.
 
The back cover of the digipak follows the theme of the front cover as the same landscape is shown. There is however no people in shot, but a different colour flag remains, which implies another person is in the shot. The track listing is placed to the right and is set out in a uniform fashion. It doesnt' however add anything to the image that is displayed on the back cover, which I think is something I would like to include in my own work.
 
The theme of the digipak is continued through on to the physical CD. The two flags are shown from the front cover on the CD but they have merged together; this has a deeper meaning as it displays the two flags [people] coming together, which relates to one of the songs on the album "Many Of Horror" - "When we collide we come together...". The tracklisting has been wrapped around the two flags which brings the digipak together as the text is being used with the images to good effect.
 
I think this album will appeal to older people, aged 18-25. I say this because it takes a mature mind to disect what is displayed on the digipak; this is the target audience I am making my music video for so I believe this is the most significant digipak I have analysed.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment