Thursday 28 February 2013

Green Day Poster

 
This poster is promoting the album "21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day. It is a concept album, which tells the story of a male called "Christian" and a female called "Gloria" - of whom are displayed on the poster.

This poster, like others I have looked at has the image as the central focus of the poster. Due to the image displaying two characters embracing and kissing, with the album title underneath it tells the audience that these two characters are part of the underlying story of the music contained in the album. I can appreciate the way that the album title is placed at the bottom of the poster as a way of promoting the characters. However, I don't think it really grabs the audience's attention is it is too small and is placed in an awkward position.

The two characters are represented as two rogue teenage lovers who find comfort within themselves when it appears their surroundings are dark and dank. This would appeal to a younger audience as they could relate to it as they may have experienced it or it could perhaps influence younger people to do so. The genre of the music is also displayed through this as the music on the album this poster is promoting is about running away from a modern world that's corrupted by bankers and corporations. This rings true in this day and age and echoes the album title "21st Century Breakdown".

I like the artwork however. I believe the stenciled artwork adds another element to the poster, especially if it is pinned up on a wall; it can blend in with its surroundings and appear to be part of the wall it is placed on. This can look and seem clever, but I think it could backfire and blend too much into its surroundings.

I'm not a big fan of the font that is used either. I don't think it fits the genre of music particularly well as it would be more at home on a poster for a rap/hip-hop album due to the conventions that are connotated with rap music. I also think that the colour of the font isn't very appealing as it blends in with the rest of the poster.

In short, the only thing I really admire about this poster is the image of the two characters kissing and embracing. It's a powerful image that I would like to replicate at some point. Other than that, I can't see myself using anything from this poster in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment