Friday 8 February 2013

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (Digipak Research)



 
The reason I have chosen to analyse this digipak is largely due to the front cover. It is an iconic photo that beautifully displays the costumes of the two characters.
 
The underlying meaning behind the photograph on the front cover is, in my opinion a woman succumbing to a man. Not in a sexual or romantic way, but in the sense that she has realised she has done wrong and has given up arguing. This is shown through the use of mise-en-scene, i.e. the black long flowing dress she is wearing which makes her resemble a ghost, or perhaps even a demon. She looks as if she is parting ways with the man who is conscious of her existence, but is yet collected and seemingly unaffected by her departure. This contrast in attitude is something I would love to display throughout my work, not only in the construction of the digipak.
 
The costumes used resemble what I want my actors to be wearing when shooting the music video. The white/black attire of the man and the pure black dress of the woman shows a neat contrast in the image which also contributes to the underlying meaning of the photo.
 
The viewer's attention is immediately drawn to this photo as there is a plan cream background which further brings out the contrast in the two character's clothes. This is simple, yet effective.
 
The simplicity of this digipak continues in terms of the font used. Although it isn't standard, bold arial font it is still far from a font that beams with thick borders and opaque lines; it's as if somebody has hand-crafted the album title on to the digipak. This font appeals to me and I would consider using a similar style when producing my own digipak.
 
The back cover of the digipak retains the simplicity of the front cover, with only the album title shown along with the track listing on top of the cream background that is used on the front cover. I appreciate the coherency of the digipak as it retains the same theme throughout. However, I would like to make my back cover more interesting and add a few more images in there to make the digipak look more like a DVD case as opposed to the standard CD digipak.
 
There isn't too much to say about the disc itself. It's a plain CD with text and logos written across it. Very much like the back cover, I would like the CD to contain images as well as text in order to make the digipak one whole collective piece of work as opposed to the CD just being inserted into the cover. Perhaps making the CD part of a montage would be more effective.
 
Overall, I do like this digipak. However, it's only really the front-cover that interests me. As a result of this, I will be taking into account the design of the front cover but not the back cover or the CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment